So I purchased a new calcium reactor for my tank the other day. Its about time too as the kalkwasser dosing was not cutting the cheese anymore. I bought a small CR70 Reef Octopus (Reef Octopus also sell an extension chamber which I am planning on getting soon to increase its capacity).
For anybody who has purchased a reef octopus product before you know that the 'documentation' provided with the product is somewhat lacking. For this reason, I decided to do a small 'how to' for setting up the Reef Octopus CR-70 / Calfusion 500 calcium reactor.
With some help from a few at MASA. I got all the info I needed on setting it up correctly.
- Water Outlet - This goes back to my sump. See the next picture for this.
- Recirculation Outlet - This goes to the recirculation Inlet.
- co2 injection - This is co2 from my pH controller and co2 bottle. The bubble rate is approximately 10 bubbles per minute keeping the pH inside the reactor to about 6.7
- Water Inlet - This is the water pickup from my sump.
- Recirculation Inlet - This is the inlet from the recirculation outlet
- Water Outlet - This is adjusted to approximately 40 drips per minute.
- Water Inlet - this is the pickup for the ca reactor. The beautiful thing about the Reef Octopus reactors is that that do not require a dosing pump.
The reactor increased my Ca in my tank from about 360ppm to ~450ppm. Its only been in there a few days though, so I am still tuning and making sure its ok.
I hope that helps anyone else who purchases one of these.